The Orangery

One of the most eye catching parts of Killruddery House, The Orangery was designed and built by William Burns in 1852 and was inspired by daring style of the Crystal Palace, London. Legend has it that the family tiara was sold to finance this work and that the crennellations surrounding the dome were based on the design of this tiara.

The cast iron glazing bars and dome was the work of Richard Turner who designed the curvilinear range at the National Botanic Gardens in Dublin and at Kew Gardens in London. The original glass roof and dome was replaced by new material in the year 2000.

The Orangery houses a collection of marble statues brought back from a Grand Tour of Italy from 1830-1850 by the 11th Earl including several classical sculptures and busts of Napoleon, Socrates, William Pitt and Wellington.